Another Sunday brunch today, this time for my PhD (and EngD) students. It was great to finally get them all over, although I note that they’re a far more abstemious bunch than the usual suspects – we practically had to beg them to drink the margaritas I had on ice!
Menu was as follows (mostly for my benefit):
- Fruit platter – pineapple and papaya, dressed with lime and cayenne
- Huevos revueltos with chorizo
- Salsa Pica de Gallo
- (sour cream, crumbled Wensleydale, spring onions)
- Tortillas and bread rolls (the latter for molletes)
- Sopapillos (or bunuelos – I can’t work out which is the correct term for fried wheat tortillas dredged with cinnamon sugar)
- Cafe en Olla
- Choice of cocktails, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic: Margarita, Bloody Mary/Maria, Bucks Fizz, Tequila Sunrise, Virgin Mary, Virgin Sunrise
Next time, we might try a New York bagel brunch; sadly, there are several people who dislike fish, which rules out an Edwardian brunch with kedgeree or kippers.