Makes 16lb for 50-60 helpings.
- Oatmeal 4 lb
- Lambs Liver 4lb
- Suet 3lb
- Onion 3lb
- Salt 8 tsp
- Mace 12 tsp
- Allspice 12 tsp
- Black pepper 12 tsp
- Toast the oatmeal under the grill, one lb at a time, stirring frequently until browned
- Boil the liver until cooked. Retain the stock.
- Mince the liver and onion finely (a food processor is ideal)
- Mix everything thoroughly in a large bowl (3 gallon size needed), adding the stock and more water if required. At this stage the mixture must be really sloppy, and should “jaup in the luggie”.
- Put the mixture into plastic boiling or roasting bags, 3-4lb into each, and boil for 3-4 hours each.
(posted so that next year we don’t lose the recipe and have a panicked search through all our cooking notes)
Note to self: recipe above is a little underspiced.
PS: if you’re coming to our almost-Burns Night on Friday and haven’t yet let us know, can you do so today so that we know how far down we can safely scale the above recipe!