FOUR JOBS YOU’VE HAD IN YOUR LIFE
1. Systems gopher for a civil engineering company
2. Software engineer for a large Finnish telecoms company
3. Door-to-door salesman (very briefly)
4. University lecturer
FOUR MOVIES YOU COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Third Man
4. The Italian Job
FOUR CITIES YOU’VE LIVED IN
FOUR TV SHOWS YOU LOVE TO WATCH
1. The Sky at Night (not that I manage to see it that often)
2. Horizon (back when Horizon was usually good)
3. The Adventure Game (when it used to be on)
4. Space Cadets (bit of a guilty admission – whoever knew that Philip K. Dick was alive and well and writing reality TV shows?)
(a difficult choice – I don’t have strong feelings about TV shows in the same way that I have strong feelings about films)
FOUR PLACES YOU’VE BEEN ON VACATION
1. North Wales
2. North Norfolk (very flat, Norfolk…)
FOUR OF YOUR FAVOURITE FOODS
1. Wholemeal toast thinly spread with Marmite, with a grilled tomato on top.
2. Good chorizo, fried in its own fat until starting to crisp, then splashed with fino sherry and served hot.
3. A black pudding supper from the Festival chippy in Edinburgh, with salt and sauce and a pickled egg.
4. Very fresh Whitstable native oysters (out of the water for less than three hours), eaten in the oyster sheds in Whitstable with nothing more than a squeeze of lemon and a drop of tabasco.
FOUR PLACES YOU’D RATHER BE RIGHT NOW
1. Drinking Manhattans in the bar of the St. Regis Hotel in NYC with
2. Drinking a Trappist beer and eating aged gouda in In De Wildeman in Amsterdam, accompanied by
3. Drinking a pint of real ale with a plate of fresh bread, good farmhouse cheddar, homemade pickles and chutneys, in the beer garden of a Somerset pub on a summer’s day (with
4. Having Eggs Benedict for brunch in a cafe that I’d trust to make hollandaise to order and from scratch (and not from a packet) with
(bit of a pattern there)